Your cart and the checkout page are the proverbial last mile in your sales funnel. Cleaning up the design and functionality of this last mile can provide a significant lift to your sales.
We see many retailers bring in sites and ask us why conversions are so low. There are many answers to that question, but one of the most common problems we see is a shopping cart page that is just an afterthought. Many of the basic themes provided for eCommerce platforms don’t have great looking cart pages and it’s up to you to fix that design and create an experience that your customers want. Some common problems to address:
- Poor Thumbnail images in the cart page
- Inability to edit products in the cart
- No customer support phone number or link
- Requiring registration before purchase
- Failing to advertise shipping policies (such as Free Shipping)
Most of these issues can be remedied, but you need to meticulously walk through your purchase path to make sure you are including all the correct information in your shopping cart.
Shopping Cart Abandonment
Shopping cart abandonment is a pervasive eCommerce problem. You may dramatically improve your cart experience, but you will always see some percentage of customers completely abandon their shopping cart. Don’t bury your head in the sand and pretend it’s not happening in your store, it’s time to take charge and add more revenue to your bottom line. Here are some things you can do to deal with shopping cart abandonment:
- Setup Ad Retargeting – if you are running advertising campaigns on Google or Facebook, you need to have a retargeting campaign in place. Retargeting ads will follow those shoppers that abandoned their cart and continue to show them ads for your store.
- Customized Recovery Emails – you can create emails that will notify the shopper of the item they abandoned, the emails should contain pictures of the product, customer reviews along with your shipping policies
If you have set up a store on Shopify, consider checking out Beautiful Abandoned Cart to start sending out abandoned cart recovery emails.